How to apply
The Darwin Initiative is a UK government grants scheme that helps conserve biodiversity and support the communities that live alongside it through locally led projects worldwide.
Successful Darwin Initiative projects are likely to include:
- delivering outputs that will achieve both biodiversity conservation and multidimensional poverty reduction
- demonstrated an understanding of GESI within their context, and effectively reflected this in their approach to deliver sustained outcomes
- enhancing the capability and capacity of national and local partners and stakeholders, to help ensure a project’s long-term legacy
- strengthening, promotion and use of evidence to inform and scale the action
- the implementation of a novel or significantly improved approach
- scalable approaches that have the potential to deliver greater impact
The guidance documents for each scheme can be found below. All applications should be submitted via the Flexi-Grant application portal.
Round 30 of the Darwin Initiative includes the following schemes:
- Darwin Initiative Extra
- Single stage – now closed – deadline Monday 18th September 2023
- Shortlisted applications will be invited to interview (remote): Monday 15th – Friday 19th January 2024
- Darwin Initiative Main
- Stage 1 – now closed – deadline Monday 3rd July 2023
- Stage 2 – by invite only – now closed - deadline Monday 27th November 2023
- Darwin Initiative Innovation – now closed – deadline Monday 23rd October 2023
- Darwin Initiative Capability & Capacity – now closed – deadline Monday 23rd October 2023
Before applying, you should first read the following documents:
- Round 30 Guidance for applicants
- Finance Guidance
- Flexi-Grant Guidance
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Guidance
- Standard Indicators Guidance
- Biodiversity Challenge Funds Risk Management Guidance
- Biodiversity Challenge Funds Terms & Conditions
- Biodiversity Challenge Funds Privacy Notice
Please refer to the application guidance for the list of countries and organisations eligible for the schemes.
Once you have read the guidance, you will be required to complete additional material as part of your application, which can be found on the respective scheme pages found in the side menu, or downloaded from Flexi-Grant.
All applications should be submitted via the Flexi-Grant application portal.
For further queries, see our Frequently Asked Questions.
If you would like to contact us regarding an application, and you can’t find the answer in the guidance documents, please contact the Darwin Initiative Administration Team: